Thursday, June 24, 2021

Indoors tent for kids

The project I did after the graded one in May was the sort of tent you use indoors and spread over a table. It was for a daycare place, and we just had the age of the kids (3-4) and the measurements of the table with the table legs marked in the drawing. Otherwise we got free hands as regards the placement of the windows and the overall design.

I started by figuring out the size of the windows to make sure the openings were small enough, so the kids wouldn't be able to stick their heads through them. It's amazing what you can find in the web. I actually found a table (made by CDC) of children's (up to 36 months) average head sizes. To be safe, I used band to divide the windows into four 10x10 cm panes.


I framed the door with 10x20 cm "bricks" made of fabrics with different textures. The idea was that in addition to looking nice, the wall would be interesting to touch.


The parts of walls between the windows got giant flowers in them. I also put a row of similar "bricks" around the bottom edge as a footing, because the base color of the tent was a bit boring as the color looked like sandstone.


Here's the finished flower.


And another one on the other side.


I also put some butterflies on the walls.



Finally, I added some flowers on the roof to make it more interesting.


This was the biggest sewing project I've ever handled. It required a lot of planning just in regards to the direction of sewing to make sure the main part of the fabric would stay on the left side where there was room for it.


We didn't have a table of the correct shape in the classroom, so I had to spread the tent on some chairs to get these pictures. In the first one, you can also see the door flap I added in the end. The circumference of the tent was 5 meters, so it was clumsy to handle in all stages of the project, but especially clumsy when I was sewing the top (the roof) in place.






No comments: