Thursday, February 4, 2021

Use for the swatches

I mentioned in an earlier post the 5 € batches of fabrics I got from Eurokangas. The latter one contained a set of swatches (in the middle below) with 32 different colors of the same fabric. I figured out what to do with them, so yesterday's project at school was that.


First stage was to cut the swatches to 15x15 cm size and overlock the upper and lower edges of each. Next, I arranged them to three strips of 8 pieces. Then I sewed the pieces of each strip together, ironed the seams, stitched on both sides of the seams, and used an overlocker for the vertical edges.


Then I sewed and stitched the vertical seams to get one big piece, and folded it in half and sewed the side seams.


Here's the other side.


I used a couple of the pieces for making an inside pocket. I used black bias binding as the top edge and handles would be made of black fabric.


The top edge wasn't quite finished as I took this photo, but you get the idea. This bag is for grocery shopping. It is tall and relatively narrow, which means it can accommodate a lot of stuff, but it is also easier to pack things in it so that they will stay upright and won't fall over.



No comments: