Sunday, November 29, 2020

Leftovers from the upholstery project

When I bought the fabric for upholstering the armchair, I had to get plenty of extra, because I needed to be sure I'd be able to align the patterns to my liking. So, after the armchair was ready, I was left with quite a bit of extra fabric and needed to figure out something to do with it. Shopping bags are always useful, so I used the fabric to make one.


This is an extra bag to be carried inside the regular bag in case I buy so much stuff that one bag isn't enough, so I also made a little pouch to keep the bag in, so it'll take as little space as possible.



In case you're wondering, I haven't been using plastic shopping bags regularly for the past 20 years or so. I always take my own bags with me when I go grocery shopping and only get a plastic bag occasionally, if I end up shopping unexpectedly and haven't had the chance to prepare for it.

It wasn't an environmental thing to start with, just about convenience, because it was so annoying to have those plastic bags accumulate in the cupboard. I used to use them as trash bin liners, but it's cheaper to buy trash bags in a roll as they are made of thinner plastic.

Nowadays I also consider the environmental effect. I've seen calculations on the total cost of using plastic bags versus a bag made of more lasting materials. I don't think those apply, when you use leftover materials for making a shopping bag yourself.

No comments: