Saturday, January 9, 2021

First two days done

The school started on Thursday, and it's Saturday now, so the first week is done. Feeling a bit overwhelmed, but also more positive about being able to do this. Six hours a day feels okay for now, but we'll see after a few weeks how tired I'm going to get (or not, hopefully).

One consequence of the studies is that the blog posts will probably happen on weekends. Depends on how I'm feeling, but I'm not going to take any pressure about this stuff, because the studies take priority.

The first two days were spent on getting to know how to use the industrial sewing machines we have in the classroom. They're more complicated than consumer models, but not hard to use once you get the setup done right.

The first project we had was for practicing sewing straight lines on even distance from each other. The picture below shows what I managed to do. The lines are (should be) 0.5 cm distance from each other. There are two different fabrics sewn together, and I used light grey (vertical) and green (horizontal) threads.


Sewing the zipper was nothing new, but this was the first time I put that slider on a zipper, because there was just a big roll of zipper from which you cut the needed length and then inserted the slider. I've always wondered how you do that, but it's actually quite simple once you manage to do it right once.

The pouch went into use immediately as I'm going to use it for my sewing tools. The school has much of the stuff you need, but as usual, tools in common use are not that well maintained. Having your own is a good idea. This is big enough for my big scissors, so I'll be using this from now on.

No comments: