Monday, January 11, 2021

Industrial sewing machines

Second week started today. I'm really starting to get the hang of using an industrial sewing machine. The teacher said that once we get used to them, we won't want to use anything else. I think she might be right. 

For comparison, here is first my own sewing machine, Pfaff Passport 3.0, which is quite nice, at least for the stuff I've done so far.


The thing about it is that it has a quite plastic feeling. I mean, the sewing machine I used when I learned sewing for the first time as a kid was a 1970's Singer. All metal and very sturdy. It was one my mother got from her sister who worked in a garment factory for a long time, so she's always had nice machines at home as well.

And then there is this, the machine I'm using at school. It's also a Pfaff, but totally different from the consumer model. During one conversation, the teacher said that in all of her decades of teaching this stuff, she has never seen anyone manage to break one of these.


I've also had a chance to use an overlocker, which I've never used before. Those things are so handy compared to using zigzag for the edges of fabric. At least I had seen an overlocker before, but the third one I've used was totally new for me. It's one you use for sewing bias binding, and I used it for sewing the edges in my second project, the kettle-holder shown in the picture below. The back side is just one big piece of the blue fabric with hearts.


I made this one on Friday, and then made another one today, but didn't remember to take a picture of that. I had a lot of trouble with the bias binding on that one, so I got plenty of practice in removing stitches. I did manage to finish it eventually and start the next project, which is waiting there on my table for tomorrow morning when I will continue sewing zippers.

No comments: