Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Another try with the coat

After figuring out what went wrong the first time, I modified the pattern. The main change was removing the shoulder seams and having side seams instead. This way, the sleeves are much easier to sew in place. The back piece is also a bit wider than it was originally. However, the front is the same width, I didn't make any changes to it.

Here is the main part of the coat with edges treated with textile hardener. This fabric frays very easily, so the hardener was useful as I didn't want wide seam allowances.


The best thing about this pattern is that you can use the sewing machine to sew the sleeves in place. It is also much easier to get everything aligned correctly this way.


The last part is to sew the side seams. The next picture shows the coat without any trimmings, but I plan to use some sort of ribbon for the edges. That means hand sewing the ribbon to cuffs. If you sew it before sewing the side seams, even that can be done with the sewing machine. I just couldn't decide what I wanted, so I finished the coat and will think about the ribbons later.


Edit: You can find the PDF file containing the pattern for this coat on my web site.

No comments: