Sunday, December 13, 2020

Skirt made of the camo fabric

I bought 2 meters of the fabric, so there was more than enough to make a skirt in addition to the shirt. I used an existing skirt (photo below) for making the pattern, but this time the original item remained intact as it is in excellent condition and I'm still using it.


I used fabric from the repurposed duvet cover to make the pattern. The new skirt consists of four of these panels.


Here are the four panels for the skirt. Again, I aligned the colors vertically.


The first thing to sew were the vertical seams. Here three of the four have been sewn. I used the stitch number 15 for these (see the chart in the earlier post). The next stages were the final vertical seam and the waist band. I folded the fabric at the waist and left room for a rubber band. The original skirt also has a rubber band on the waist, although I used a narrower one for this. I used stitch number 12 for the waist.


The final piece was the hem for which I used stitch number 11, which shows very little on the outside. It requires this special foot to keep the fold of the fabric in the correct position so that only every fifth zigzag stitch catches the fold.


Here is the finished skirt. In this case I was wearing the shirt I made earlier, but I'm not planning to use these together regularly. 


Now I know the pattern is fine, so I can use it later for making another skirt once I find fabric I like. That's really one of the main problems with buying skirts, either the design is for people half my age or the pattern is what the manufacturers assume middle aged women want to wear. The skirt in the first photo in this post is the latter, but in this case I like the design and pattern. The other knee length skirt I have bought is all black and I haven't used it, I bought it just in case I happen to need a black skirt. The rest are dresses as for some reason, dresses seem to come in much nicer colors and patterns. But they all have floral patterns, so the skirts I'm going to make will have something else.

No comments: