Sunday, February 14, 2021

Got inspired by shadow quilting

I read about shadow quilting, and one of the teachers showed some of her work in the similar vein, so I wanted to try something like that. For the first attempt, I took a picture from a coloring book and recreated it using scraps of fabric. I used textile glue to attach the pieces from one or two places to stop them from getting misplaced before the stitching.


After finishing the picture, I covered it with tulle and stitched on top of it to get everything to stay in place and flat. Here you can see also the original picture. When it comes to copyrights, this is fine as long as I'm keeping the resulting picture myself.


This is how the reverse side looks after stitching. Here the whiskers are also in place (they're not in the picture above).


And here is the final picture, whiskers and all.


This was fun to make, and I have already started another one, which will also be a copy of an existing picture. After that, I think I'll start trying to create my own pictures and maybe also try using different kinds of fabrics. It would be nice to get some 3D effect in the pictures as well, so thicker fabrics in some places could be worth experimenting with.

No comments: