Sunday, October 17, 2010

Socks and the beginning of the vest

I have only knitted one pair of socks before this, about 30 years ago at school. Those took a long time and I was never tempted to try to knit another pair. However, as I am making a sweater for Brother Dreary, I thought I could try socks as well. I searched for instructions for regular size socks and then scaled them down. The first sock has progressed this far:

The heel doesn't look very pretty, but the shape is correct. The rest should be easy, just a bit more as it is and then decreasing steadily. The part I don't like much is that I need to make the other sock as well, although it will be a lot easier as I wrote down how I made this one.

I also started making the vest for the folk costume. The first thing to do was to set up the threads for card weaving.

The next picture shows the pattern more clearly. The problem is, I'm not sure the pattern I made is correct. I saw a picture in a book at the library and this is what the pattern looked to me, but it was very small and I can't be sure I got it right. However, it is good enough for the first version. I may end up making a better vest later as I am not quite happy with the shade of brown I'm using. It should be darker, I think, but as I got this shade now, I thought I might as well use it.

The thread turned out to be excellent for card weaving, much better than ordinary sewing thread. I think I'll order more of it, if I decide to order a better shade for the vest. I might do that as there's quite enough of the red thread for making another vest.

Here is the chart for the setup. I used alternating threading as I thought that would be best for this pattern.

No comments: