Sunday, December 6, 2020

Additional parts for the table

The sewing machine table had a small wooden drawer under the table top. It was falling into pieces as all the corners were loose and only the bottom was keeping it together.


The first thing to do was gluing the corners with PVA glue. I left the original nails in place, tapping them in with a small hammer. I didn't think they would be much use otherwise, but they would help the pieces to keep their original alignment while the glue was drying.


The rails for the drawer under the table were also a bit broken. I could have made new ones, but I decided to try fixing these first and only make new ones if I had to.


The composite picture below shows the different stages of fixing the rails: filler applied (pictures 1 and 2), shaping the rails by sanding (pictures 3 and 4), and finally the result (picture 5), which isn't perfect, but works.


After everything was ready, the parts needed painting. It never stops amazing me what you can do with filler and then paint the result, and nobody can guess what's underneath.


Another issue was hiding cables. The dollhouse and table look so nice that it would be a shame to ruin the impression by having a bunch of cables lying around. The answer to that problem was using some leftover pieces to build a cover under which all the cables that don't fit in the space under the table can be hidden. The cover is made of pieces of wood and particle board glued together using PVA glue.


I painted the cover black, using what remained of the metal paint. It's not meant for painting wood, but it was available and I didn't want to throw away what was left. I always prefer using leftovers for other projects. When the paint was dry, I attached some stickers for decoration. Those were the only pieces I bought specifically for making the cover, everything else was leftover materials. In the photo below, you can see the cover as it looks seen from the front.


Here's view from the back. The back is open to allow access to the extension cord's power switch. The cover is taller than is needed for accommodating the cord and cables, but that is for ventilation. In a smaller space, the cables could get hot. Even with the extra space, I wouldn't recommend leaving the power on for an extended period and certainly not unsupervised. This works for the purpose it's used here, because the dollhouse lights are never on when I'm not at home.



No comments: