Thursday, December 17, 2020

This counts as upholstery

I was looking at the chair I have by my sewing machine and realized it's one of the upholstery projects. Even smaller than the stool, but still upholstery. It's an office chair with the back rest removed. The reason I'm not using it by my desk is that the lifting mechanism is broken and it's permanently in its lowest position.

The seat fabric was black and not too worn, but I wanted something more colorful. The first thing to do was to remove the seat by opening some screws.


Then the plastic cover underneath the chair needed to be removed. Its only purpose is to cover the wooden board inside the seat and the stapled edges of the fabric.


In this case, there was no need to sew anything into shape, just get a rectangular piece and turn its edges under the seat and staple them there. The only reason I had to sew anything was that I didn't have enough of one fabric to do this, so I had to combine two with zigzag stitches.


Here is the result. It's been a few years since I did this, and the chair still looks nice. The stitches are holding well, and I don't expect this to need a new cover any time soon. The one thing that bugs me about this is that the center fabric is not exactly in the center. The left edge is wider than the right. It really makes no difference, but I can't help noticing it. You always notice the little details that didn't go exactly the way you planned.



No comments: