Saturday, December 19, 2020

Coat for the Kindi Kids doll

I decided to try making a coat using the dress pattern as a starting point. I shortened it, moved the opening to the front, rounded the edges of the front pieces, and made a pattern for the sleeves. In this picture, the sleeves are too long. The doll's arms are really short and the hand size means the sleeves need to be quite wide. These sleeves were a bit too narrow, although the resulting coat can be put on the doll, but only just.


I treated the edges of the fabric with fabric hardener (basically glue), because this fabric frays easily. After that was dry, I sewed some ribbon to the cuffs to make them look neat without turning the fabric.


Then I sewed the sleeve, side and shoulder seams. Before that, I made sure the hands would go through the arm holes and sleeves. It was a tight fit, but manageable, although I knew the pattern would require modifications after checking all the things that were wrong with it.


The final step was sewing the sleeves in place and adding ribbon to the remaining edges. I managed to get the coat on the doll, but while I was doing that, I also realized the back piece needs to be wider. This doll's arms aren't quite as bad as the Living Dead Doll's, but the hands are still quite far apart, making it difficult to put something like this on. See the Fashion Doll Shoes blog for the description of making the shoes.



No comments: