Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The box my dad made

My dad was a carpenter. In his day job, he made parts for glass fiber boats, but he also made various furniture for other people. These people included, for example, his employer's family members and a man who was Finland's prime minister in 1970's and 1980's (his summer cottage was near us and that's where dad did some work for him).

In Finland, we have this saying, "the shoemaker's kids have no shoes." In this case, the carpenter's family had very few items made by him, because he was always making stuff for others against a payment. However, there were some, including the box below. It was my mom's, but I got it when the house had to be emptied for sale. The box was varnished (not very carefully, the surface was a bit rough), but as I was painting some pieces of furniture, I decided to paint it as well, because there was plenty of paint.


I had white, red and brown paint, because those were needed for the other projects. I painted the inside white, because the larger compartment has a divider (seen in the picture above) that divides it into six small, deep compartments, and a light color makes it easier to see inside. I chose red for the outside as it's more cheerful that dark brown.


Here's the lid in place after the paint had dried. The box isn't really anything special in any other way, except that it was one of the things my dad made for my mom.


Here's an outside view. The box is on top of one of the other painting projects, actually the one for which I originally needed the red paint. I'll post about that later.



No comments: